Paul Coles, Youthworkerish type guy. Present location: Targu Mures, Romania. Married to an amazing girl named Fiona. I'm on a JOURNEY and have no idea where I'll end up other than in the hands of God.

Friday, October 31, 2003

A great day in Dublin

Monday was a beautiful day in Dublin. The sky was clear. The air brisk. And the streets were lined with people. I couldn't have asked for a better day to attempt my first marathon.

According to many t-shirts on the day, 26.2 is the distance all runners are judged by. Well let me tell you...I was certainly judged...and found a little wanting. I have an all new respect for all marathon runners. It was certainly the hardest task, by far, that I have ever completed. It was amazing to see all the different people of almost every shape, size and age, who were out there giving all they had to get to a finish line that seemed well beyond reach, and certainly out of sight. Hmm....there's got to be a sermon in there somewhere...

I couldn't believe the number of senior citizens who were out there, not only running, but some of them were kicking my butt. I think they must know something about perseverance that I just don't yet understand. One guy of about 50 was running his 3rd marathon in three days (one in Balise (i think), one in Frankfurt, and this one...all in a weekend) and he was still keeping up with me...Amazing

I have to give a huge shout out to Charlie Knox who unashamedly cheered me on at the top of his lungs (the way only charlie would) at about the 22mile mark and in the home straight. He gave me a good laugh and the energy to finish the race. My official place and time were - 2764th in 4:09:28 out of 6278 finishers. And I managed to raise over £500 for the Edge which is amazing.

Thanks to al those who supported me and the Edge in this. It is amazing the amount of encouragement that I received. It's great to live in a town like Ballynahinch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home