Paul Coles, Youthworkerish type guy. Present location: Targu Mures, Romania. Married to an amazing girl named Fiona. I'm on a JOURNEY and have no idea where I'll end up other than in the hands of God.

Friday, August 04, 2006

The End is near...oh no sorry, I meant to say "The Edge is here!"

The Edge team arrived here yesterday and it has been great to have some familiar faces around. The craic is always mighty when we are together and this team has been no different so far.

We did have a few firsts for Edge Romania trips however. We had our first ever lost baggage. When they arrived yesterday Leigh Duffiled's bag was nowhere to be seen so we talked to the airport guys and they told us they would get it by the next day. To this comment we though "yeah right" this is Romania afterall but to our enormous surprise... TaaDaaaaa!!!! It arrived this afternoon. I think that is an airport record in baggage recovery. I might just give the folks at Guiness a call... the world record people, not the brewers... although I might give them a call as well just for good measure.

But the other first was a bit funnier. We had our first ever team members go M.I.A. When I went to collect the "delayed" bag from the airport today the rest of our team had gone to visit the kids at a group of 11 group homes. The team had been there for about an hour, playing football and other games with the kids when I get this call from fiona saying, "Ehmm Paul, do you know where Nicole is... we don't have her here. We think we might have left her back at the office and she's probably locked inside."
OK....I so I am about 15 mins from there at the time and head head off to check it out when a couple of mins later I get another call. "Ehmmm, we don't seem to have Andrea with us either."

So off I go and after about 20 mins of bad traffic I finally arrive at the office to find the two girls sleeping on the couch. They were in the back toilets when we got the taxis to leave and didn't hear us yelling to go. And then in all the commotion of getting 5 different taxis and arriving at the homes to see almost 100 kids running out to meet the team, they were not noticed until everyone had to go inside bacause of a thunderstorm about 1 hour later.

Very funny and I'm actually surprised that both of those events are firsts for taking teams of teenagers to another country. In the end the girls just emailed for a bit and then had a sleep, figuring we would come back sooner or later.

Oh well. Its great to see such good friends and Im sure many fantastic times are ahead.


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home