Paul Coles, Youthworkerish type guy. Present location: Targu Mures, Romania. Married to an amazing girl named Fiona. I'm on a JOURNEY and have no idea where I'll end up other than in the hands of God.

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Too wonderful for you to understand.

I was reading this morning in the book of Judges. A weird and amazing book about many unusual and unexpected heroes. But more amazing than the heroes that God chose to use were the people that He continually chose to save.

God has done miracle after miracle for these people over the generations and they have been passing these stories on to their children and their children's children... but they always forget. They forget the parting of the seas and the pillar of fire and the conquering of kingdom after kingdom in the promised land. They forget food from heaven and they forget the earth swallowing up their relatives. They always end up swapping the One True God for bits of gold or wood, or other every day items. Absolutely unbelievable to me... and yet this story also seems
far too familiar and far to close to home!

So as I was reading I came to the story of Samson (Judges 13) who has to be one of the coolest of the Judges. And I was reading about how the Spirit of God came and told Samson's baron parents that they were going to have a boy (that would be Samson by the way) and that he was going to be set apart for God from the day he was born and that he was going to rescue Israel.

After He gives them this amazing message about their soon to be son they ask the Spirit of God this brilliant question: "What is your name? For when all this comes true we want to honour you."

And they get an even better response: "Why do you ask my name? It is too wonderful for you to understand."

Wow, what an answer!

Sometimes I think I am definitely too comfortable with a God who just wants to help me out and chat with me and just loves forgiving me. As I thought about this I realized that I don't want to know my home made chummy chummy God that just smiles and winks and everything is ok. I don't want to know the comfortable God, the God who is just there to make my life easier or to help me feel like I am doing something good.

I want to seek the true God who's name is even too wonderful to understand.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have met you a few times through Charlie, read your blog regularly : keep up the good work. I've been tagged on my blog, thought i'd share it with you, feel free to do it if you get the chance

http://colinforeman.wordpress.com/2008/03/07/ive-been-tagged/

11:39 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home