Paul Coles, Youthworkerish type guy. Present location: Targu Mures, Romania. Married to an amazing girl named Fiona. I'm on a JOURNEY and have no idea where I'll end up other than in the hands of God.

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Who needs water, electricity or a dry place to sleep?



Well it has been an interresting summer so far. 4 weeks down and 4 more to go. We've had a lot of challenges with water shortages, inconsistant electricity and leaky tents but it has been a brilliant time so far. A lot of kids have been loved by our staff and volunteers and we hope they have seen and heard the truth of God's love for them... and His Mission Possible for their lives!

It's so amazing to talk to all the kids at the end of the week as we are sending them home. It's a sad time but it's also encouraging to hear how much they loved the week, how much fun they have had and how they can't wait to come back next year... and then I love to see their faces light up when we tell them that we'll see them again soon! One young boy this week excitedly asked me if I will see him again before Christmas?... I assured him that, yes, I think it will be before Christmas.

One of the saddest things we've seen so far is some of the small kids from a state orphange (not mentioning any names) shoving all their gifts into their underware so the bigger kids won't steal them when they get back "home". Then they cried and asked us not to send them back to "the prision". These things kill us and frustrate us and we have to remember that we can't do everything, we can't "save" everyone and we are not God. I'm glad I'm not God because I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't do His job very well. But it's so sad to know that we can't prevent all the crap that is in their lives right now!

We have had some hilarious times lately as well and this week I was reminded of the Joy of childhood. We had the most hyper 8 yr old girl at camp this week, named Nicoleta. She made me laugh every time I looked at here. I'm glad that I wasn't taking care of her all week becasue I know she drained every ounce of energy out of a few of our volunteers but she was so funny to watch. She could make a game out of anything, was curious about everything and had her hands in everything... A great reminder to enjoy this life, because it is beautiful.



So on we go, at least until we die. And maybe when this summers over I'll start posting a bit more...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home